This Web Page Created By
SPI was founded in 1899 by Father Catesson of the Paris Foreign Missions. Then called "St Paul's School", it was the first English school in Seremban, with an initial enrolment of 25 students under headmaster Mr. P.V. Coelho.
The school grew steadily, and in 1907 a new school building was constructed on Paul Street (now Jalan Yam Tuan). Two years later in 1909 the first La Salle Brothers arrived. The school was placed under their care and Rev. Bro. Isidore Albert took over from Mr. P.V. Coelho. A year later Brother Basilian assumed Directorship and the school was renamed St Paul's Institution.
The school flourished over the next 30 years, even acquiring the neighboring buildings as a means to expand the school area. Student enrolment increased, and numerous renovations were carried out.
Then in 1941 St Paul's was put under military occupation. When the Japanese invaded, it was allowed to reopen as a private school in 1942. This did not last long, as in the very same year the school was converted into a technical school under a Japanese teacher. In 1944, the then Brother Director, Rev. Bro. Henry was replaced by a Japanese headmaster.
After World War II the Brothers returned to take charge of the school again. Tumultous years of the Federation of Malaya and the struggle for independence ensued, and as the nation of Malaysia was born in 1957, St Paul's celebrated another milestone with the moving of the school premises from Paul Street to Mont La Salle.
The years went by and St Paul's became an elite school with a reputation for excellence in both academic and co-curricular activities.
In 1970, SPI established Form Six science stream classes, and one year later the first female Paulians arrived, bringing a decidedly noticeable change to the formerly male-dominated school landscape. As a result of this new development, the former Old Boys Association had to be renamed, making it the "Old Paulian's Association".
1991 marked the end of the headship of the Brother Directors. The school's last Brother, Bro. James Macken retired, passing on the helm of SPI to Mr. Kenneth Kulasingam.
SPI celebrated its 100th year in 1999. To mark the momentous occasion, a time capsule was planted in the assembly ground by DYYM Tunku Putra Nadzaruddin Tunku Jaafar.
More than 111 years since it was founded, Mdm. Yap See Moi, who became the school's first lady principal in 2006.
In 2007, SPI history was once again made with the completion of a new double-storey school hall, providing students with better facilities for both studying and co-curricular activities. Consisting of 4 new classrooms, 4 badminton courts and a gymnasium, the hall was officiated in grand manner by YB Dato' Hon Choon Kim.
Looking back at the past, SPI has come a long way. What else lies ahead, but a future holding countless possibilities for Paulians to accomplish even greater things?